Doing work of painter we can find, sometimes, against tables, comfortable and old consoles that have lost marble board, or who have cracked or chipped. While it is possible to fix cracked marble boards and reshape chipped, it doesn’t not worth buying a new board: the cost is prohibitive and weight of the piece could break old together. Worth learning, following the advice of a DIY manual easy to imitate with paint finishing this material if you want to keep the spirit of real marble decorative.
Imitation of veins
The art of marbling is divided into two distinct techniques: imitation marbled drawing and dispersion, which are used solvents (alcohol, white spirit or water) to fracture or marble painting. Always have, to be your guide, a sample of authentic marble or photograph.
Black marble green
It is important to carefully choose the colors of marble, especially if you start from scratch, so that they can combine with wood or painted base. Here the two marbling techniques are combined to obtain a dark marble suitable for a dark wood base.
Amount for an area 2 m2:
- Base Layers: 200 ml black eggshell paint (two coats)
- Enamel layer. Oil paintings of artist: Terree some green, some green chrome, a little zinc white, some black and a hint of natural shade, a tablespoon of flaxseed oil, three drops of varnish drying for a tablespoon of white spirit.
- Adding grain. Oil paintings of artist: a little titanium white, a pinch of black.
- Protection layer: 200 ml of polyurethane varnish (4 layers)
- Sandpaper (grade 240), lint-free cotton cloth, household paint brush 40 mm, two plates for mixtures, thin plastic bag, brush 70 mm, round sable brush, brush glaze 40 mm
- Once you have prepared the surface, sanded and dust, domestic use brush to apply a coat of eggshell paint and let dry for 24 hours.
- Sand lightly and remove dust with a damp cloth.
- Apply a second coat of eggshell paint and let dry two days.
- Then sand the surface and remove dust
- Put oil colors on a plate, add linseed oil and varnish driers, and stir well.
- Finally add the white spirit (little by little) and mix well to obtain, but not too liquid transparent glaze (creamy consistency).
- Apply an even layer to the surface with a paint brush home. Let dry for 12 hours.
- Make a ball with the plastic bag and taking her hand, press against the wet glaze to create irregular patterns across the surface.
- Mix lightly passing a brush drawing. With a clean index finger wrapped in cloth, remove the enamel semi wet areas to become visible parts of the base layer. Let dry for 12 hours.
- Mix the oils in another bowl and stir well. For a natural look, do not use pure white.
- Holding sable brush and put it at an angle of 90 ° to the surface. From this position, trace the veining always working it back and twisting, occasionally, brush shapes to create casual characteristics of the water of the marble.
- Leave to dry for two to three days.
Layers of protection
- Apply at least four coats of varnish, let dry 12 hours between coats, lightly sanded and cleaned each time.
With this sophisticated work of painter can be obtained with paint effect that mimics the veining of marble in a wooden surface.