How to remove moisture from the basement

Musty odors in a house are produced as a result of mold. The mold spores are generated in the air, but these require certain conditions to grow like mushrooms. These conditions include a combination of humidity, warm temperatures, and lack of fresh air and sources of food. The most common areas of the house where they can accumulate mold are basements, crawl spaces, and even closets. In addition to generating an unpleasant odor, mold can damage various materials. Fortunately, it is not difficult to remove bad odor and mold in basements.


  1. Open the windows and exterior doors in the basement during a hot day. Place a couple of portable fans in the door, some looking inward to cool the atmosphere and others looking out for the moisture carried.
  2. Place a dehumidifier that is on day and night in the basement, with windows and doors closed. Check the machine and empty it frequently when full. Place jars of silica gel around the room, because this substance absorbs moisture from the air.
  3. Remove objects that are in the basement and clean them. Place them outdoors, under the sun. Removes mold gently with a brush. Wash objects other than paper with a soft sponge and a foam solution with detergent and water. Rinse thoroughly with clean water and let them dry in the sun. For deep cleaning of mildew stains, mix two tablespoons of bleach to one quart of warm water. Apply the solution with a sponge on the stain or submerged object. Let dry for 5 minutes, rinse with clean water and let it dry again.
  4. Clean the basement floor to eliminate musty odors. Sprinkle a thin layer of lime on the floor. When the musty smell disappears, sweep lime. To clean carpets, remove the rust with a special machine for carpets.

Tips & Warnings:

  • The slight odor of mold can be removed only if you vent moisture and dry basement.
  • Fabrics that can be washed should take them to the cleaners.
  • You must discard items that accumulate rust inside.
  • Keep bleach and other harmful chemicals out of the reach of children and pets.
  • Read and follow directions on the packaging of chemicals.

Article written by